Thursday, January 17, 2013

Out of the Box

Before reading further, I don't mean to offend anyone with my descriptions or my opinions.

I can thank my boyfriend for breaking me out of my box. The 'spoiled' box. The 'only child' box. The 'suburban girl' box. He has opened my eyes to a new adventure: re-sale shops.

When I was little, living in the burbs, I remember my mom taking all our clothes that we didn't want or didn't like to a re-sale shop. We would get money back after they sold. Our shop that we went to carried clothes and home decor. It smelled old and I never saw anyone in there. But I also perceived it as this was a place people went who were poor. I mean obviously they had to be in some sort of trouble..they were buying old, used clothes (and lets face it, some of my mom's sweaters she was getting rid of...pure 80's. Shoulder pads and all). These people were needy to me, and our family was not 'needy'.

As I got older, we simply stopped going to the re-sale shop. I'm assuming mostly because I wasn't growing as fast, and clothes lasted longer. But now I had clothes that were 'out of style' or that I didn't like anymore. I  wanted to sell them somewhere, get money back, so I could buy new clothes. I started going to Plato's Closet. At that age, Hollister & Abercrombie brands were the 'it' thing, so they took most of my clothes back. Each Plato's was right next to a mall, so after I got maybe $50 back, I'd go to the mall to buy new clothes. If you've never been in a Plato's, here is my description. They are usually in a strip mall or a run-down building. Walls and counters are some sort of cheery bright color. Metal racks hold all the clothes which are categorized by lengths of the sleeves, bottoms, and dresses/skirts, and labeled with paper signs made with Word Art. Accessories were hung from a supporting pole near the check-out line. Fitting rooms were small, and the doors were micro, allowing shoppers to see your head bobbing around and your ass hanging out as you try on clothes. A fuzzy B96 would play through the speakers. There were rarely just benches you could sit on. It smelled...funky. It was normally teen clothing so maybe it was that 'teen spirit'. Selling your clothes at Plato's is a hassle as a lot of people are there also trying to sell, which means you are always forced to wait. They tell you 15 minutes as they go through your clothes, and you are forced to walk around and 'browse'. If you have ever gone shopping with me, you know that I'm a 'toucher' (noun: a person that while shopping for clothes must feel the texture of each items he/she passes). When I go to Plato's, I do.not.touch. I would get the heebie jeebies just thinking about touching things that have been on other people. You don't know who those people are. You don't know where they kept these clothes. They could have had them in piles on their bedroom floor and weren't washed before they were brought in here (or the 7 times it was worn before that). So I mosey around with a sour look on my face, disgusted at the thought of people who bought from here. Sometimes the cashier would 'forget' to call your name, and after 20 minutes of 'looking' around, you finally go ask if they are done, and say 'Oh yeah, we have been for awhile.' Uh, I'm sorry, but you better be giving me more than $7 for those jeans since you made me suffer in this place.

Yes, you may think I'm a spoiled brat. I'm not saying any different. But this was the mind-set I was in. I knew no better. I wasn't exposed to anyone (or that I was truly aware of) who had to buy from re-sale shops. I'm sure I went to school with a few people whose families shopped their. But my friends never had to do that. Their parents bought them stuff (as did mine, till I got a job).

After graduation, I set a budget for myself. On this budget, I would mostly be living paycheck to paycheck, something I was never used to. When I was in college, if I needed a cute outfit that weekend, I was going to buy that outfit. But now, it's a different story. There had been several times where Nathan and I were going out to dinner or to a bar, and I would stand in front of our closet, and I would pout. I have nothing to wear. Nathan help me, I can't find anything. No, I wore that last weekend. No, this person has seen that shirt before. No that doesn't say 'going out' does it? One time, and I'm sure it was when I was PMSing, I had a breakdown. Sob sob.I haven't been able to buy any new clothes for myself. Sob Sob. I have no money. Sob Sob. I have nothing to wear. I can't remember exactly, but I'm sure this is why the subject was brought up...re-sale shops.

Nathan said that he used to go to Crossroads Trading Company up in Lincoln Park. That his cousin used to go there (I THINK that's the story) and he described it as a higher end re-sale shop. They only bought and sold popular and designer brands. Only popular trends. Only gently used clothing. And when I'm talking designer, they have Louboutin's behind the counter *gasp*. Sure, they have Forever 21 and H&M, but they also have Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, AKIRA, Juicy Couture..many many more. It took some convincing for me to go in their the first time. But I have faith in Nathan, and I knew he wouldn't take me somewhere gross. It's hard getting used to shopping at a re-sale shop. Things aren't as organized (its worse than shopping at a disorganized Forever 21), you see something you like, its not your size, and its not like they have it in the back. On my first time going there, I found a few things I liked (even tried them on! I got over the fear of someone else wearing them!) and I purchased them. For about half the price I would in a regular store. I felt good about my purchase, and I didn't feel 'poor'. I think it helps that I knew some of my co-workers had shopped here and that these Chicago stores and trends really make it seem 'cool' to shop re-sale. Now I go and sell my clothes there, and I 'trade' (I give them my clothes, they give me a value, and I purchase clothes in their store worth that value). If they don't happen to buy some of my clothes, there is a Plato's right down the street (no, I still don't shop there. but I've learned to look like I am browsing).
I went today and sold a lot of winter clothes, and got three new pieces that I'm very excited about.



As I said early, I don't mean to offend anyone. I'm a spoiled suburban girl who had a stereotypical view on what re-sale shops should be. For the poor and the un-trendy. But with the help of my boyfriend and Chicago's view on 'thrifting' , I now view re-sale shops as trendy, clean, and cool. I never thought I would buy someone's used clothing. ever. But here I am, shedding my spoiled, only child, suburban ways..and loving it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment