Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Pull My Hair

Yesterday I was having a prettay good hair day. So, I got inspired to write. As you know from my previous posts, I'm a girly girl when it comes to beauty supplies. I love them. Can't live without them. But I've learned to live without the expensive salon brands, and I have a new found love for less-expensive drugstore brands like Tresemme (I don't care what they say "used by professionals". No. My hairdresser does not use this and she is a damn professional. By 'professionals' they mean, 'for those who love good hair products but can't afford to buy the fancy stuff'. Yup, that's it.) Picking up from my previous post, Gynecologists and Hairdressers, about shampoo and conditioner, today I'll be walking you through the longest  journey of my ' getting ready routine.' That is, doing my hair. Hopefully you'll learn something.

If you're an actual dedicated, faithful reader to this blog, you already know what comes before doing my hair. If you don't, your slackin'. It goes shower, face, lotion....HAIR!



Step One: De-Tangle That Mess
I am all about doing everything I can to preserve my hair. I go to a professional to highlight/dye it. I want to keep my hair strong. Mostly because I love my long hair (although its so tempting to cut it!!), and the only way it will continue to grow is if I keep it healthy. After I've walked around like Erykah Badu for a bit, the first thing I do is spray Garnier Fructis Daily Care Silky Secret Leave-In for Normal Hair (ha, normal, yea right.) before I comb my hair.
What it says it does: Conditions & detangles for silky softness, root to tip. Its proven to strengthen your hair, make it shinier, and make it 'touchably soft'
What it ACTUALLY does: It detangles for sure! Thank goodness because there is nothing like starting your day by hitting some nasty ass knot and having to yank out a chunk of your hair (otherwise you'd be starting a new hair style, its called 'comb-in-hair') Silky and Shiny? mm, not so much. Touchably Soft? Oh yes. Please touch it. Tip: Every girl can relate here; unless I'm asking you to touch my hair, do not touch it. Which pretty much means unless you are my boyfriend or my hairdresser..do..not..touch.

Step Two: Pump Up The Volume
I'm cursed/blessed with naturally stick straight hair. This is great because I don't have to spend hours with the straightener frying my hair. I just blow dry it..and it lays there....with no volume. I don't want to look like a slick head, so I use mousse (if you have naturally flat, straight, or oily hair...don't use a gel. It just progresses your problems.) Currently I'm using Tresemme 24 Hour Body Foaming Mousse.
What it says it does: plumps hair giving it ultimate body and bounce that will last through the day.
What it ACTUALLY Does: This bad boy WORKS...for about 12 hrs. Honestly, it really does work though. Gives me just the right amount of volume. Think 'I just got dirty in bed' look, not '80's throwback' look. I do happen to notice though, that after awhile, my hair almost gets immune to products. That is why I NEVER use the same product twice in a row. As soon as I'm done with this one, I'll go try out another brand. When I first start using a product, my hair is noticeably more va-voom.

Step Three: Protection!

I see so many women walking around with fried, frizzy, damaged hair (and you wonder why it doesn't grow...) Now I can't sit over here and tell you I have no split ends, no frizzies, no damage...but I can tell you have less because I protect my hair when using hot tools. You say you don't use a straightener? That's fine. Do you use a curling iron? I bet 90% of you use a hair dryer...thats a hot tool! I spray on Tresemee Thermal Creations Heat Tamer before I use any hot tool. Before I blow dry. Spray. Before I straighten my pesky bangs. Spray.
What it says it does: Protects against heat and friction to keep your hair shiny and incredibly soft.
What it ACTUALLY does: I can't say that it is a 100% reliable, but my hair is soft, and not as damaged as those ladies who don't use protection.

Step Four: HOLD

Obviously I blow dry my hair..and straighten my bangs..and then hairspray. Some days I use it. Some days I don't. If my bangs have a mind of their own, they need to be punished. I use Aussie Aussome Volume Hairspray.
What it says it does: locks your volumized look into place.
What it ACTUALLY does: see above.

Protect you hair ladies! Make it strong. Less hair in your brushes and in the drain (cause that's nastayyy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment