Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Gynecologists and Hairdressers

I hope I'm not wrong to assume that hygiene is a top priority for you. Yes, we all have our 'I don't feel like showering days', but other than the 'you and your sweatpants have a hot date with the couch' days, we generally like to be clean. Right? Right.

Spoiled Alert!
When I was living back home, the only shampoo and conditioner I would use was something from the salon. I was taught that drugstore brands were not good for your hair (which, there are some which are not, eh-hem, Pantene). Having this thought in my head, I continued to want to buy these products when I was in college because, come on, what girl would want her hair to look bad?! I was also spoiled with body washes. The fact that I had a connection with a Bath and Body Works manager did not help. The thought of using a body wash other than BBW? EW!

...and then I started living on my own.
 The money that I was normally using to buy my expensive shower products was now going towards food for not only myself, but my boyfriend to eat. As I said earlier, I pay for the groceries...and I don't think he would appreciate if I spent all my money on salon products. I had to give them up, and this was hard. But I did it! I'm using drugstore brands. I'm picky, but I found some products that I actually love.

Shampoo & Conditioner
I used to use: Redken Blonde Glam, Big Sexy Hair
Why?: Because every since I can remember I've been going to salons to get my hair done. I'm not talking about Hair Clips. I'm talking about boutique salons where you pay $150 to $200 for a haircut/color. I learned expensive hair = must use expensive products.

Now, I use: Tresemme Color Protection, Herbal Essence Color Me Happy
Why?: Because I need something to protect that $150 haircut/color. That is one thing I'm not willing to sacrifice on (I just don't get it done as often). Here is how I see it: There are two people in life that when you find a good one, you stick with them; your gynecologist and your hairdresser. 

Body Wash/Soap
I used to use: Bath and Body Works Body Wash
Why?: I had the hook-up. and they smell soooooo gooood. I would get a new scent each season...

Now, I use: Hotel Soap (no joke)
Why?: (Props to my father, who started this one) Its free. My dad travels a lot and literally has a stock pile, so we were given some. So, it may not smell like Warm Vanilla Sugar, but it does the job its supposed to do. Sometimes really nice hotels even give out Aveda soaps (now those smell good!)
Secret: When I have a coupon, sometimes I still treat myself to a BBW Body Wash :)

Other money saving tricks: 
  • buy men's razors. I swear they do a better job, last longer, and are cheaper (because men don't care if their razor is purple one week, and pink the next, or that it's scented. Yes, I said scented. I once bought razors that were 'tropical' scented. If you're seriously smelling your razor, please find help.)
  • If you live with your man, use his shaving cream. Believe it or not, it works on a woman just the same. Hmm..who would have thought?! Afraid of smelling like a man? By aloe infused Barbasol. Smells fresh, its cheap, and it prevents razor burn! YES!
  • Go shop at Ulta!! This was my happy place when I wanted to buy new shampoo and other hair products...and it still is!! Although Ulta has all these higher priced salon products, they still sell Herbal Essences, etc. I could get it at Jewel, but it is about the same price (sometimes less) and honestly carrying an Ulta bag makes me happier than a ugly brown Jewel bag. You also get rewards ($$ off) for your purchases if you  have a Ulta Club Card. 


If you haven't noticed yet, I'm kind of a girly-girl when it comes to beauty products/hair care, so this won't be the last of my budget-beauty product suggestions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment