Thursday, December 13, 2012

Potato Pancakes (aka "Forget About That Diet")

If you don't know already, today is the sixth night of Hanukkah. No,I am not Jewish, but I'm in love with someone who is <3

I've always had an interest in learning more about this holiday, as I've always been intrigued about other religions. Ironically, I'm not very religious myself, which is why I think I allow myself to have an open mind to truly learn about the religions of others.

I picked up some candles for the menorah awhile back, and now each night of Hanukkah, we've been lighting them and saying prayers (well he has been saying the prayers, I just light the candles.) I'm not here to give a religious lesson on what things mean, although these traditions are very interesting, so I suggest reading up on it...or ask me :) On the first day of Hanukkah, Nathan went out and bought some Gelt (aka chocolate coins). Can't go wrong with chocolate!

So on the fifth night, I wanted to do something special for Hanukkah so I decided to make Latkes (aka Potato Pancakes). It's a favorite traditional Hanukkah meal. What I got out of my little research is that eating potato pancakes and other fried foods cooked in oil symbolizes the miracle of the oil burning for eight nights (hope you did your research or you might be lost).

If you are Jewish or not, you MUST make these. DELICIOUS!! Make them anytime of year you want, I don't care, just make them! Talk about disgustingly fried but perfect comfort food....

By the way, for being a gentile,my Latkes turned out pretty damn well  ; )

Potato Latke Recipe
What you need:
  • 4 large potatoes
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 1 egg
  • 1t salt
  • 4 T flour
  • black pepper,to taste
  • vegetable oil for frying
First, grate the potatoes and onion; put them in a large mixing bowl. Be sure to drain any excess liquid.
In a second bowl, put your egg,salt, and pepper; beat the mixture. Add the egg mixture to your potatoes and onions. Mix. Add in your flour to create a thick mixture. If you find that its still too runny, add more flour. 

This was at the end of our mix when I said "Wait!! I should be blogging this.It's cheap and easy!"
Next, heat about 1/4 inch oil in a skillet over medium heat.Take 1/4 cup scoops of your potato pancake mix, put it in the oil, and flatten it to create the perfect sized latke! Fry each side until golden brown.


 Once fully golden, place them on a paper towel to get the excess oil off! 



Serve your potato pancakes with traditional sides of sour cream and/or applesauce. I take them both!

How easyyyyyy was that?! barely any ingredients...and half of them you already have in your kitchen! Makes me budget-happy :)

L'Chaim!



No comments:

Post a Comment