Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Woman's Perspective: #selfie

Welcome to the new Wednesday Post! All types of topics being looked at through the eyes and mind of a woman.

What is a Selfie?

Selfie (noun): a photo which has been taken by the person in the photo, with the intention to post it on a social network.

Selfies go way back. First, 'Myspace Pic'. Then, 'Mirror Pic'. and now, Selfies. Same words, just evolved.

As I'm perusing through Urban Dictionary (so legit, right?!)  for definitions of the above words. I keep coming across words such as 'conceited', 'slut', 'ugly', or 'no friends'. If these words are truly associated with those who take selfies, that means myself, as well as at least half of my friends, are ugly conceited sluts who I'm actually not friends with...?

We all do it. I do it. I take pictures of myself and post them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Guilty.

Why do we do it? Are we conceited? Are we desperately looking for compliments and attention? Maybe.

Maybe we just want to show that we are having a good make-up or hair day. Or maybe we just want to share a smile (or a duck face....)

If taking selfies is labeled with such desperation and annoyance, why do we still 'like' and comment on those photos? Maybe we actually enjoy looking at the beauty of other women, specifically those ones that we call friends. Maybe we like giving our friends compliments, because they deserve it, and we mean it.

I'm not sure where the whole obsession with taking pictures of ourselves began, but I guess you can call it a form of art. It's a self portrait, and we want to express how we are feeling in that moment. It's just progressively becoming a 'normal' thing to do as more outlets are created for us to post on.

The "Artistic" Selfie
Taking a picture of yourself in a unique way, rather than just in the mirror or direct shot.
Why did I take it? I wanted to take a 'bean' picture like no one else...














The Mirror Shot
So typical. Big flashy reflection.
Why did I take it? Because that's what teenagers do.















TRIPLE WHAMMY!
The Kissy , Extended Arm, Eyes Off Focus Face
Why did I take it? I was getting ready for a Valentine's Night out, trying to be flirty.




















The Sexy Face

Why did I take it? Uhhh, I guess at 18(?) I was 'feeling sexy'....




















The Humor Selfie
Why did I take it: I thought I was being funny and being me. Clean freak & Wine-O















The Pretty Selfie
Where you are generally feeling beautiful
Why did I take it: I want compliments NOW

The Drunk Selfie
Self Explanatory....
Think your looking hot...not so much. I actually look like I've been drinking and dancing all night, which I did not think would come out in the picture..as I took it in a bathroom....
I'm honestly so ashamed. At least I can look back at this now and be like "Hey I lost a lot of weight. Hey, don't let anyone put a camera in my hand while drinking .Hey, never make that face."


Of course, as I'm sure many can agree, if at least 60% of your photos are of you, you need to tone that down. How many times can we tell you that you look sooo pretty with your 'sexy face'? Yes, you may judge me by my photos I've just posted, but this is  for examples people ; ) I like to keep selfies at about 30% of my photos. No more.

So why do women do it? It's not often you see men taking photos of themselves. I know every time I get caught taking a selfie by my boyfriend, I get a "Uh, what are you doing?" Shamefully I say, "..nothing." Damn it, I'm taking a picture of myself because I feel good. I feel like I look good today and I want more than just a few people to see it. I mean how often does a good outfit or 'face' day get wasted because the only people we see are our co-workers and the homeless man that shouted at you on the street? I'd like some more compliments than "mmm... baby you so bootiful. Can you spare some change?"

Who doesn't love a compliment? Who doesn't like having a little extra bounce in their step?

You know that deep down inside, you look damn good, and you're hoping that someone will see it. That person may be your significant other who needs a pick-me-up at work.That someone may be the ex who needs to see what he had, the crush whose eyes your trying to please, the girl who called you ugly, those 'people' from high school. It's okay to feel satisfied about yourself. Posting a picture about yourself does not mean you are self conscious. I've seen the most confident women post selfies, because they know they will make men and women stop scrolling down their news feed to admire a piece of art.

In the end, I think we continue to post pictures of ourselves because we want to see how we look through other peoples eyes. We want to see what other people see, not only through the picture, but by how many 'likes' and comments we can receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment